My name is Margaret Killjoy. Most people call me Magpie. I’m an itinerant author and editor, rarely spending more than a few months in one place at a time.
My email address is firstname.lastname@example.org. I occasionally say things @magpiekilljoy on twitter. I’m on facebook: facebook.com/margaretkilljoy and Flickr.
- 2014: A Country of Ghosts. Published by Combustion Books.
- 2013: The Super-Happy Anarcho Fun Book. Published by Strangers in a Tangled Wilderness.
- 2012: We Are Many: Reflections on Movement Strategy from Occupation to Liberation. Published by AK Press.
- 2011: What Lies Beneath the Clock Tower: Being an Adventure of Your Own Choosing. Published by Combustion Books.
- 2009: Mythmakers & Lawbreakers: Anarchist Writers on Fiction. Published by AK Press.
- 2008 Guida steampunk all’apocalisse (in Italian). Published by Agenzia X.
- 2007 A Steampunk’s Guide to the Apocalypse. First published by Strangers in a Tangled Wilderness, reprinted by Combustion Books.
- SteamPunk Magazine: Founder and editor of issues 1-4 and 8-9.
- Graceless: A Journal of the Radical Gothic. Founder and editor of issue 1.
I’m an anarchist. Which is to say, I believe that society would be better organized without hierarchically imposed authority, whether through this thing called “the State” or through capitalism. Note that capitalism refers not to market economies, but a specific sort of market economy in which it’s possible to make your income by doing nothing (investing, property speculation, absentee landlordism, etc.).
There are a lot of little sub-sections of anarchist. I would say that I’m best described by post-civilized theory, which is a branch of green anarchism. But I’m also a “big tent” anarchist, which is to say I’m excited by pretty much all branches of anarchism and think we need to focus more on our similarities than our differences.
I’m also vegan, but hate self-righteous veganism. It’s a dietary choice. We all make compromises in this life.
- 2013: Being the Explorations #6
- 2012: Being the Explorations #5
- 2010 – Being the Explorations #4 (currently out of print)
- 2010 – Being the Explorations #3
- 2009 – …And Into Autumn – covering deserts, mountains, caves, protests, and waterfalls.
- 2009 – Being The Explorations of One Fine Summer – covering mountaintop-removal, roadkill butchering, haymarket square, and Earth First! free-states.
- February 2010 – Starfish Studios in Seattle, Washington.
- September 2008 – Anachrotechnofetishism: artifacts by pioneers of american steampunk at Suite 100 in Seattle, Washington.
- 2010 – Nomadic War Machine (gothic breakcore)
- 2008 – Magpie Killjoy (accordion)
- 2006 – Wingzar! (battle techno)
- 2005-2008 – Attack Attack Attack (industrial/noise)
- 2006-2008 – The Illawen (green & black synthmetal)
- 2001-2002 – I Awoke (darkwave/gothic)
My work has been mentioned in such awesome blogs and projects as Boing Boing, MAKE blog, MAKE Magazine, The Nor’Easter, and Anarchy: A Journal of Desire Armed, as well as WIRED.com and the lamentable Newsweek. I’ve been interviewed about steampunk by Small WORLD podcast, Steampunk Spectacular, CBC Radio, The Boston Phoenix, The Boston Globe, The Hartford Courant, and a handful of other publications from the US and overseas.
I once even did an interview with The Wall Street Journal Online. It was pretty funny: I said something like “well, obviously, our current oil-driven infrastructure can’t go on forever” and the man stopped me to ask, quite confused, “what do you mean?” (and that, by the way, is the problem.)